Postgrad can be one of the most exciting and terrifying times. It can be very overwhelming to go from the consistent schedule of school to being tossed into a new atmosphere full of possibilities. If graduation is on the horizon, here are some tips to help you prepare for the job market.
- Take a deep breath — It’s not as stressful as it seems. As cliché as it sounds, everything will work out, so remember to take a step back to breath when you’re feeling overwhelmed.
- Network, network, network — A huge part of breaking into the industry is making connections. Attend events that are in your field of expertise, and even some that aren’t. You never know how your skills can help someone else. Meet new people and tell everyone you meet you’re looking for a job.
- Take an internship — If you didn’t develop a ton of work experience during school, it’s okay. There a plenty of internships or part time opportunities that aren’t just looking for students. Experience is the best way to learn any skill, and internships are a great way to make connections and build your resume.
- Be confident — Confidence is key. Whether you’re in an interview or just networking, be confident in yourself and your skills. Remember that no one has it all figured out, and just because you’re new to the work force doesn’t mean you shouldn’t be confident in your abilities.
- Ask for help — Confidence is key but asking for help is equally important. No one expects you to have all the answers, so don’t be afraid to speak up if something doesn’t make sense. It will save you a lot of time in the long run.
- Share on